A day in my life

It has been a few months since I quit my day job, and it isn’t so scary anymore.  To be honest, I did have a few moments of “what did I just do?!” panic. Now that I have a daily routine down and a couple months under my belt, I’m feeling much more comfortable.

The freedom to do what I want when I want is priceless … except that I enjoy my work so much that I have to force myself to stop at 5 o’clock.  That also means no opening email after 5 either because when I start opening emails, then I start answering emails, and then that leads to checking Facebook and Twitter and updating websites and possibly even filling orders.  I’ve been known to “just check my email” for 3 hours.

My dog is enjoying my flexible schedule too.  That means more belly rubs and snuggles for him and less grumbling and being cranky for me.


This is where Oliver keeps watch over the office, right behind my desk.

Oh yeah, this was going to be a day in my life, wasn’t it.  Rather than schedule everything, I’ve sort of played it by ear for a while and let a natural schedule develop.  First thing in the morning, coffee in hand, I go in my office and answer emails.  Then it’s on to checking painted eyes for quality and packaging them for shipping.  Once that is done, I print off packing slips from PayPal and Amazon.  From those packing slips, I package the clear, black, and budget eyes that can be shipped right away.  This is the bag I keep by my desk for packages to be mailed (most days it has more packages than this):


I have the best postal carrier ever because she picks these up for me almost every day.  I mail them myself on days when I’m driving into town (a couple days a week).

After all the shipping labels have been printed and packages prepared for mailing, then I paint all the custom craft eyes that have been ordered.  Those will dry overnight (or possibly 2 nights depending on the weather), and then the process starts all over again the next day.  Want to know a secret?  I work weekends too!  I know, I know.  I can’t help it!

While I’m doing all that stuff above, I’m also browsing around Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other sites.  I also try to think of a relevant blog post to write up for you guys.

That’s about it.  Once I’m done with all that, I do the usual household chores, spend time with my dog, and work on my afghan.  The last granny square afghan I made was when I was in high school, and it really needs to be replaced.  It’s my favorite blanket.  When the weather gets really cold, there’s nothing like a heavy afghan on top of the bed to make me feel all snuggly warm.

About Michelle

Creator & owner of Suncatcher Craft Eyes.

Posted on January 17, 2013, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: